Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

I've been looking at my food storage and ways to utilize it better to help stretch my budget, so I started looking at options. Almost every morning Carson and I share a bowl of oatmeal and since I have 12 #10 cans of instant oatmeal in my closet I need start using it.
I looked all over the internet for options and I came across this recipe from Momables and I am excited to have breakfast in the morning with my Carson.

Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets

21-24 snack sized Ziploc bags
10 cups quick oats
1 t. salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1 cup powdered milk

Instructions

1. Put 6 cups of the oats into a large bowl.
2. Add the remaining 4 cups of oats into a blender.
3. Blend until almost powdery, then pour into the large bowl.
4. Add salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and powdered milk.
5. Mix well until everything is combined.
6. Measure 1/2 cup of the oatmeal mixture into each snack sized plastic baggie and seal.

To use DIY Instant Oatmeal Packets:

1. Pour packet into a bowl and add desired hit water. Stir and serve.
 This recipe almost cleared out an entire #10 can! 11 more cans to go...hummm.  Gorilla Poop it is, my kids will be sad I'm sure.

No comments: