Thursday, September 26, 2013

What's on your shelves?

Moving away from home has taught me a lot about self reliance. When I moved to Southern Utah in July I had to solely depend on the food I had on the shelf and in my freezer. I struggled not being able to go to the store to buy apples or string cheese just because we wanted them, but I learned how to cook with what I have on hand. Last week I was asked to prepare some items that I had on my shelves that I could prepare dinner with if I couldn't go to the store. After I got over the first few minutes  of confusion of who was on the phone, (ruling out telemarketers) I realized I was not like most people, in fact I might be considered compulsive.
The conversation did lead me to consider what I might be missing on my shelves. Because I've lived the closest to my mom I have been reaping the fruits of her harvests/talents for several years. Along with plenty of kidney beans and dried onions I have meat, fruits, vegetables, pie fillings, jams and jelly's, but what else would be nice...bread.  This week through the power of Pinterest I have come up with a lot of really good ideas.  One of the genius ideas are to just to have the dry ingredients in a jar to make cookies or sweet bread, this will keep for 3 months and can make great hostess/visiting teaching gifts when in a bind.  My mom started making brown bread a few years ago and when I talked to her a few days ago she had just opened a can that she canned 3 years ago.  She said it just needed to be warmed up a little and tasted just as good if not better then the day she made it.  Just a little side note she also said that she after canning brown bread she prefers to let it sit for at least a month before opening it. In case you were wondering I am going to start working on canning breads.  I have had friends share Amish Friendship starts and I never wanted to take the time to actually try it myself. It takes 10 days to get 4 loaves of bread, but you can also share 3 of those with friends to start their own starts and to do what they please.
On Monday I made some banana bread in a jar and tried a new recipe from Chiquita Moms that was delicious and it sealed perfectly. It was so easy I was able to mix it up with a fork instead of my precious Bosch mixer...I haven't found that box.

Chiquita Banana Bread in a Jar

Ingredients 
3 Ripe Chiquita Bananas
1/2t. Baking Soda
1 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
 1/2 t. Cinnamon
1/4 C. Chopped Walnuts
1 Egg
2 t. Butter
a Pinch of Salt
3 wide mouth Pint Jars

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly spray jars with cooking spray.
  2. Mash bananas and blend with baking soda, sugar, flour, cinnamon, egg, butter and salt.  
  3. Pour mixture into jars, filling halfway using a funnel.
  4. Place pint jars (without lids) directly on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
  5. Screw on lids and turn upside down to help seal.
3 Ripe Chiquita Bananas
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1 Egg
2 tbsp Butter
Pinch of Salt
Cooking Spray
3 Pint Mason Jars
Canning Funnel
Fabric
Jute or String
Scissors
Sticker Paper or Cardstock
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray jars with cooking spray.
2. Mash bananas and blend with baking soda, sugar, flour, cinnamon, egg, butter and salt. Mix in walnuts with a spoon.
3. Pour mixture into jars, filling halfway, using a canning funnel.
4. Place jars (without lids) directly on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Screw on lids. Cut fabric into 6 inch circles for each jar and place on top of lid, securing with jute or string.
- See more at: http://www.chiquitamoms.com/2012/09/chiquita-banana-bread-in-a-jar-printable/#sthash.4eF3m97C.dpuf
3 Ripe Chiquita Bananas
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1 Egg
2 tbsp Butter
Pinch of Salt
Cooking Spray
3 Pint Mason Jars
Canning Funnel
Fabric
Jute or String
Scissors
Sticker Paper or Cardstock
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly spray jars with cooking spray.
2. Mash bananas and blend with baking soda, sugar, flour, cinnamon, egg, butter and salt. Mix in walnuts with a spoon.
3. Pour mixture into jars, filling halfway, using a canning funnel.
4. Place jars (without lids) directly on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Screw on lids. Cut fabric into 6 inch circles for each jar and place on top of lid, securing with jute or string.
- See more at: http://www.chiquitamoms.com/2012/09/chiquita-banana-bread-in-a-jar-printable/#sthash.4eF3m97C.dpuf
 I was able to bring the canned bread to Relief Society and now maybe everyone else will give bread a try too. We might have something more then canned green beans and chicken in our food storage after this adventure after all!

No comments: