Monday, March 29, 2010

Creamy Pesto Tortellini

By the time I thought about dinner it was too late for what I had planned. So while picking up James from preschool, dropping off the recycling, and picking up a Dora the Explorer movie from the library I had to think of something quick and simple. I have had a creamy pesto at restaurants, but never tried to make it. It wasn't like theirs, but it was tasty!

Creamy Pesto Tortellini
1 pkg. refrigerated 3 Cheese Tortellini
1 5 oz. container of your favorite Pesto
1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 small Tomato, diced
Parmesan Cheese, if desired
Cook the noodles according to packaging and drain. Place back into the pot add pesto and heavy whipping cream, stir until well coated 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat add diced tomatoes and serve. My boys love anything with noodles, so this was a real winner tonight.
There were other recipes on line that suggested making a white sauce and adding the pesto in the same fashion, but I didn't want to have to think. I believe, however, that it would have been much more creamy if done with a white sauce instead.