Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thanks Mom!

I grew up with a mom that believed that "Hallmark Holidays" are just that for Hallmark.  On that note its not Mother's Day, but I just wanted to say thank you to my mom.  Today James was outside playing at the neighbors house and I realized it was dinner time.  My mom has dinner planned by 6:30 am everyday...or soon thereafter.  I have never taken that from her, although that would be nice to have one less thing to worry about with kids screaming and food to prepare.  But what she did teach me is how to cook on the fly with what you have.  I opened the freezer and pulled out 2 chicken breasts, frozen Asian vegetable mix and threw some rice on to cook.  Next I tried to figure out what kind of chicken would work with my kids and rice.  So teriyaki is always a great fall back, but I am out of vinegar, so that was out...next up was orange chicken, which I've never made, but the recipe I had called for orange marmalade...and I don't have that.  Third times a charm.  We had Sweet and Sour Chicken for dinner.  James of course just had rice and chicken, but he really really liked the chicken! I must say it was so moist and it was a good combo with the Asian vegetable mix and the flavor packet I cheated with.  We cut up some watermelon, made some pink lemonade and sat down for a great dinner together! I am glad meals were so important growing up.  I am grateful that I can now share that with my boys and someday they can share that with their families. So thanks Okaasan!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

And to set the record straight, dinner was at 6:00 and not 6:30. If I meant 6:05 I would have told you that....how many times have you heard that one! I am a firm believer in punctuality...and a firm believer in good kids of which you are one!