Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gyoza

Tonight we had Gyoza and it was a good night for Gyoza. Since I don’t really have a recipe it is a some nights are better then others kind of deal. My kids love it and I must say I could eat and eat and eat when it comes to Gyoza. It is fast and easy to make with 5 basic ingredients. Ground meat (I do turkey, but my mom sometimes does beef or pork, I think), Napa Cabbage, fresh grated Ginger Root, Sesame Seed Oil, and Shitake Mushrooms. From what I understand Gyoza is a Japanese food that allows moms to hide vegetables. It was also like the 10 cows, depending on how well you made and folded your Gyoza determined what kind of partner you could get (or was it be?). Sometimes I add different easily hid veges into the mix. Tonight I added grated up carrots and chopped green onions to the mix. I really liked it.
Gyoza

1 pkg. Gyoza wrappers
1 pkg. ground Meat
2 shakes Sesame Seed Oil
1 head Napa Cabbage, finely chopped
3-4 Skitake Mushrooms, finely chopped
Ginger Root (to preference)
1 or 2 Carrots, finely grated
1 brunch Green Onion, chopped

Add all but the meat together and mix. Now add half the meat and mix by hand. The meat, when I make it, is more of a bonding agent so I like to have more veges then meat. It’s your call. Place Gyoza wrappers on a plate and wet the edges. Place a small amount of mixture onto the wrapper and fold it up however you want. When Yukiko makes this she is good and removes all the moisture from the cabbage by putting it into a bowl and salting it slightly. The salt pulls the moisture from the cabbage and after 5 minutes you wring it out and then add the other ingredients.
Logan didn’t notice it on his plate, but when he did he couldn’t get enough.
I am big into freezing ahead. With these you have to make sure they don’t touch if you do they will stick together. When defrosting still make sure they don’t touch because they get even more sticky. Cook in a hot pan with oil until brown on all sides. If you want you can check with a thermometer to make sure that the meat is cooked enough, but I bless my food so I don’t have to be so crazy.  Traditionally you then steam them, but I like mine crispy, so I skip that step.  There is also a dip made up of 50/50 Vinegar/Soy Sauce.  I don't really use this either, but its good when I don't have Ponzu (a Soy Sauce with Citrus) on hand.  Make a pot of rice and love it up!

No comments: